Senior Meeting Thursday, September 5, 2019
The first senior meeting of the school year was held and the following topics were discussed with students.
- District website: Students should familiarize themselves with the distrct website and the High School webpage. There is a good deal of information on both pages and it is a great resource for students to use when they have any questions. Please check the website FIRST to see if you can find the answer to your questions before visiting the counselors.
- Remind: Ms. Orr will be using the remind app to communicate with seniors about events and important information throughout the year. To join, students can text the message @9836ab to 81010. This is also a great way to communicate via text message with Ms. Orr if you have any questions or need help.
- 4-year Schools: Students interested in applying to 4 year universities should do so ASAP! Many 4 year universities/colleges have a deadline of December 1st. If a student in interested in applying to a 4 year university, they should visit that school’s website for information on deadlines, admission requirements, and freshman scholarships. Students applying should be sure that they are applying as a freshman and not a transfer student!
- Scholarships: Scholarship information will be shared as it is received by the counselors. To check for scholarships online, visit the Eustace ISD website and click on High School; find the tab that says Senior Info, click on counselor pages and find the scholarships page. There are already several resources posted. Students may also check the filing cabinet outside of Ms. Orr’s office for paper applications. Ms. Orr will be sending out information about scholarships through the Remind app as well.
- Resumes and Recommendation Letters: Students should create a resume using the template that Ms. Orr provided to share with those people writing recommendation letters. Students should start considering who they want to ask for recommendation letters now instead of waiting. The sooner you ask, the better!
- College Days Policy: Seniors are allowed to take 2 college days throughout the school year. These can both be taken in the fall or in the spring or one each semester, but only 2 are allowed for the entire year. Students must pick up a college day request form in the counseling center BEFORE their visit. More details for proof of visitation will be given when students pick up their forms.
- FAFSA: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens on October 1st. Students wishing to receive financial aid for college must fill out this application regardless of family income.
- Dual Credit: Students having trouble in dual credit courses should meet with the counselors ASAP for help. Not passing could effect graduation. Tutoring and other services are provided by TVCC. November 15th is the last day to drop a class with a W. Please remember that students are responsible for reimbursing the district for any dropped classes.